Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Felt Food You Can Wear!

My friend Jenny at Eclectics - an artists' cooperative in Kansas City (where I sell my stuff) saw my felt food and said, "I think some people would love to wear these. Why don't you make some smaller bananas for pins??" Of course, she makes a lot of cool woolen things to wear, like flower brooches made from old, felted wool sweaters or other fibers, like this heart.

 



However, I dutifully tried it while staying out of my studio to protect my poor fractured arm - hand sewing shouldn't be considered a high-impact activity, right? Today I placed some of my results into my gallery inventory for all to see.


Actually the banana was easy - it was the strawberries that were tricky. A single felt strawberry is easily made from a semi-circle of red felt.
  • Fold in half and seam up the radius edges. Knot.
  • Add running stitch around the top (the round edge), draw tight and knot.
  • Stuff with fiber and stitch closed.
  • Cut a 3 or 4 lobed green leaf piece.
  • Stitch leaves over the hole and whip stitch around all leaves.
  • Add tiny yellow embroidery stitches to simulate seeds.
Voila!  A strawberry! Sounds simple, right? Well, it is - IF you are making a whole strawberry.

If you want to make a half a strawberry, which is flat on one side (for the pin-back to be attached, which is what I did) it's a bit more complicated. The above photo is a whole strawberry. This is two half strawberries....look the same right?


Nope - the back is flat. And it doesn't even show! Wonder if anyone really will want to wear one of these???

No comments: