Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Passementerie

Reading one of the (too) many craft newsletters coming into my email paid off today with a new word. Passementerie. Not a new word, but new to me, so all thoughts of my morning tasks vanished as I dropped everything to find out what this wonderful-sounding word meant. Wikipedia gave my the definition. The art of making elaborate trimmings or edgings (in French, passements) of applied braid, gold or silver cord, embroidery, colored silk, or beads for clothing or furnishings. Or tassels - think sultan's palace or exotic drapery fringe, or just fabulous pull for your ceiling fan.

This fabric angel from Eclectics Gallery is a great example.

Found this revelation on the Quilting Daily Blog, then simply googled the word....gotta love the internet, no matter how distracting.

Now I have yet another way to justify keeping bits of old trims, lace, braid and gimp - someday I'll used them in a passementerie project.

No comments: